Fire crews were called to Spencer Court last night.
A woman in her fifties has died after a serious blaze in Hampshire.
21 firefighters were sent to tackle the severe blaze affecting a ground floor and a first floor flat in Stubbington, just before 11.30 last night.
A neighbour was taken to the Queen Alexandra Hospital in Cosham suffering from smoke inhalation.
Fire control received a 999 call at 23.23 and crews arrived at Spencer Court within six minutes to discover a fully developed fire in a ground floor flat.
More than 20 firefighters from Fareham, Gosport and Cosham battled intense heat and extinguished the blaze using six sets of breathing apparatus, two jets and one hose reel.
Area Manager Steve Foye said: "This was a tragic incident and our thoughts are with the woman’s family at this time.
"Our firefighters managed to bring the fire under control and extinguish it in the face of extreme conditions but were sadly unable to save the woman.”
A joint investigation between Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service and Hampshire Constabulary is now taking place. The fire is not being treated as suspicious.
He added: "There are a number of steps people can take to reduce the chances of a similar tragedy occurring in their home.
"Carry out checks before bed to ensure all heaters and cookers are turned off and that candles and cigarettes are properly extinguished.
"Keep exits clear and close inside doors at night to prevent fires spreading.
"Smoke detectors should always be fitted on every floor of a home and the battery tested once a week to ensure it is working properly.”