He went to help rescue two children at Portsmouth Harbour
Police in Portsmouth say they're preparing for the potential recovery of a body after a 33 year went missing in the harbour yesterday afternoon.
He jumped into the water at Tower Street to rescue two children - who are now safe along with another man who went to their aid.
It's believed he may have been dragged under the surface by strong currents.
Officers are still patrolling beaches in the city for any signs of the man.
Inspector Phil Jones from Hampshire Constabulary's Portsmouth District said: "No remains or items linked with the 33-year-old have been located so far.
"Our Marine Unit remains on patrol along the coast near Portsmouth Harbour. We are working closely alongside officers on board the Ministry of Defence Police launch.
"Officers and staff from our Safer Neighbourhoods teams in coastal communities are on routine patrols along beaches and seafronts, looking for any signs of this man.
"Some of the man’s relatives have been told about the change in status to our operation. Officers are continuing to contact and inform other immediate family members.
"Hampshire Constabulary would like to thank partner agencies and members of the public at the scene on Thursday for their assistance.
"Witnesses and anyone with information about sightings of the missing man or a body are asked to contact Southsea police station.”
Phone 101 or in an emergency, dial 999. Mini-com users can phone 01962 875000. Information can be given anonymously by phoning the independent Crimestoppers charity on 0800 555 111.