Isabelle Harris from Gosport died in April.
Hampshire Police are warning the public about the dangers of taking barbecues into confined spaces, after the inquest into the death of a six year old girl.
Isabelle Harris from Gosport was given emergency treatment at a campsite in Bransgore in the New Forest in April after a coal briquette-fuelled barbecue had been brought into the tent for warmth.
An inquest in Bournemouth heard today she died at Southampton General Hospital as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning from inhaling fumes, over the Easter weekend.
The coroner recorded a verdict of accidental death.
Speaking after the inquest, senior investigating officer, Detective Inspector John Geden, said:
"This is an extremely tragic case in which a six-year-old child lost her life during a family camping trip. The cause of her death has been determined as carbon monoxide poisoning through the inhalation of fumes from burning charcoal, emitted by the family’s barbecue.
"Isabelle was very much adored and cared for, and her loss is devastating to her parents and wider family.
"As we have heard today, Isabelle succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning after a coal briquette-fuelled barbecue was brought inside the family tent to keep her warm on a very cold night.
"Tragically, many are not aware of the significant risk from carbon monoxide this poses, and our message to all is a very simple one: please do not take barbecues indoors at all. If we can stop one more family from having to go through this terrible experience, then Isabelle’s death will not have been in vain.”
Lee and Tracey Harris, the parents of Isabelle have issued the following statement:
"Our lives have been devastated by the loss of Isabelle. It is difficult to put into words what the past few months have been like without her, and we are still trying to come to terms with our loss.
"We would like to give our thanks to everyone who has helped us since April, our friends and family for their constant and unwavering support, the emergency services and paramedics who tried to save Isabelle, the police for their ongoing support, and the owners of the campsite where we were staying..
"We hope that Isabelle’s death will act as a warning to others about the dangers of carbon monoxide. It is our sincere hope that no-one ever again has to go through what we have been through as a result.”